Sunday, April 22, 2007

Conflict Of Interest Update

Reader Warning: Shameless self-promotion to follow; this entry may contains multiple links to my own old tired *classic!* blog entries.

I cooked bacon this morning. Real bacon. Not the baconish-flavored turkey "bacon" that I usually make, but the actual, traditional, greasy, crispy, oh-so-delicious, Homer Simpson-approved, full-fat pork product.

I don't do this often. On the rare occasion that I go whole hog (har!) and fry up the real stuff, I am treated to high praise and all-day heartfelt thanks from my children.

Especially Hannah.

She of the bacon, egg and cheese sammich fame; enthusiastic Charlotte's Web fan; imminent elementary-school stage personality -- the very girl who once apologized before devouring her favorite bagel-encased, salty strips-o-cured-meat lunch.

This morning, Hannah's tastebuds took an unexpected turn.


My little Wilbur turned in her breakfast dishes with all of the bacon -- minus one bite -- still on the plate. This is unprecedented. Hannah usually licks the pork portion of her plate clean, then asks for more. I asked her if she felt sick. I expressed my surprise at her absence of pork-inspired enthusiasm.

She looked at me, slightly mournfully, and said, "I don't know, Mom. It just tastes funny."

Method actress in the house! Piggies don't eat their own.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and here i was thinking you were getting kickbacks from the Pork Council, too!-insomniac

6:15 PM  
Blogger KDF said...

I refuse to give up hope. The Egg and/or Cheese people could still come through with a scholarship.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been here for a while. Nice to visit with your family. :)

Loved the poem.

8:22 PM  
Blogger KDF said...

{{{Eleanor}}}

I'm glad you're here. :)

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home