Monday, December 11, 2006

Life Is Complicated When You Love Pigs

This is Hannah's library book.
















Awwwww, look at the piggies! They're sooooooo cuuuuuute!

Back in September, Hannah made the piggie/bacon connection, contemplated the ethical issues as they pertained to her Disney-influenced sensibilities, and ultimately decided that she was okay with the concept of bacon, "because it is delicious."

So she was prepared for this page:


But appalled by this one:


Hannah: (wide-eyed and slack-jawed) Mom! Look at this! They make purses out of pigs??

Me: Yep, they do. And belts and boots and footballs. Those things are made from pigskin.

Hannah: (after a very... long... pause...) WHAT??? That is SO gross! Really? But... pigs are cute!

Me: Hannah, I understand why this upsets you, but how is this different than when you found out that bacon is made from pigs? You were OK with that, I thought.

Hannah: (look of horror begins to shift to look of "Uh oh, if I take up the fight to save the pigs, I'll have to give up bacon") Well. I told my sandwich I was sorry.



Epilogue: And since I'm video-post happy, here, by popular demand, is Hannah's ode to the egg and cheese (with bacon) sandwich.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*snork* for Well. I told my sandwich I was sorry.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a ham! (Had to get in the pig reference.)

She's adorable.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home