Saturday, December 30, 2006

An In-Depth Movie Review

We went to see Charlotte's Web today. I have been looking forward to this movie since I first saw the trailer many months ago, as I vividly remember Charlotte's Web as the first book that ever made me cry. It appeals intensely to my inner sap. And how can you beat a family movie that casts Steve Buscemi as Templeton, The Rat?

We all loved the movie. And, yes, Charlotte and Wilbur made me cry.

This was the conversation we had in the car on the way home.

Hannah: "SOME PIG" was my favorite thing that Charlotte wrote. I don't know what "RADIANT" means.

Sam: That's because you're stupid.

Me: Sam, what does "RADIANT" mean?

Sam: Next Christmas, I want a dirt bike.

Me: Hannah, "RADIANT" means "especially beautiful."

Hannah: What about that other word? "HUMBLE"? I don't know what that means, either.

Me: Someone is "HUMBLE" when they are beautiful or smart or radiant or terrific, but they don't brag about it. And when people compliment them, they just quietly say "thank you."

Hannah: I say "thank you" to the lunch lady when she gives me my lunch. And I gave her one of the cookies we made for our holiday party. Nobody ever remembers to give the lunch lady anything!

Me: Hannah, that was incredibly thoughtful. That makes me feel proud of you.

Hannah: I know.

Sam: I liked Templeton. In the commercial, he said he was the star of the movie.

Hannah: That's not humble. Which one of the baby spiders did you like best?

Sam: None of them. They were all girls.

Hannah: Can we get Happy Meals, now?

I think I'll cook bacon tomorrow morning, just to see what happens.

4 Comments:

Blogger southerngirl said...

your kids are so sweet, yet you are so evil...;)

5:18 PM  
Blogger KDF said...

Ah, nothin' but survival, my friend!

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your kid's conversations are just the best. And it sounds like Sam could have the makings to become a politician. ;)

10:46 PM  
Blogger KDF said...

Hm, he is awfully skilled at remaining calm in the face of controversy and seamlessly changing the topic.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home